Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ASB

I know this is a little late, but I am going to write about the spring break trip I went on this last year. Twenty two students and one faculty member from Northwest traveled to the Dominican Republic over spring break to take part in a program called Orphanage Outreach. Orphanage Outreach has a couple orphanages in the Dominican Republic and they help the orphans to become great young people. Our job while staying in Jaibon, Dominican Republic was to go into a school near the orphanage and to teach simple English words to the students there. I taught first and sixth grade. Some of the sixth graders were closer to my age than a sixth grader, but they were still eager to learn. Most of the students paid attention and wanted to learn more than anything. One of the counselors, who has been there for three years, said they want to learn English because it is the children's way out of the small towns and they can get a good paying job in a touristy city. Alternative Spring Break was a life changing experience for me and everyone who went on the trip. It made me appreciate all the little things that I have because everyone in the DR is very poor. People build their homes out of things we would throw away. I can't wait to go on Alternative Spring Break again this year. I got to know a lot of new people and got to know people I already knew even better. My friend Angela made an amazing video the summarizes our trip. Just click the link below to watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOoe36OMPQ&feature=related

2 comments:

  1. I watched the video two times. It was great and such a great thing that you all did for the children!
    Loved reading about your weekend!
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video was amazing! Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete